An Assessment/Screening is essential for our clients to get the results they desire.
IF a trainer is not doing a complete Assessment/Screening, how can they design a program that will meet the unique goals and needs of their clients? How can a trainer then design a safe and appropriate program?
Everyone has some type of imbalance or problem areas in their bodies that prohibit the body from functioning at its optimal level. If you try to start an exercise program or increase the intensity of your exercise routine before you address these issues you will only make the imbalances’ worse, which could ultimate lead to injury.
If you’re an athlete whether it is a weekend warrior or a high school athlete going for the college scholarship you will have a decreased in performance and increase in injuries unless the imbalances in your body are corrected and compensated for.
A Proper Assessment/Screening:
- Helps to develop a program that optimizes total fitness
- Targets the muscle imbalances in length and strength
- Identifies potential problem areas
- If needed, referral to the appropriate professional
- Establishes goals and motivation
- Assesses Current Fitness Level
With a proper Assessment/Screening a trainer then can adjust the variables in the clients program. An exercise program should be based entirely on the unique body movements of a client and their specific goals.
Most conventional exercise programs are “one size fit all’ programs which could lead to greater aggravations of the imbalances and leave you more vulnerable to injury. Conventional exercise programs are not individualized and do not take into account your unique body movements. This makes it much more difficult if not impossible to achieve your total fitness goals.
Whatever your training goals may be, injury prevention is a major component to your success.
- Less time exercising
- Less time on the courts
- Less time on the golf course
- Less time playing your sport
Including in the Assessment/Screening:
- Body Fat composition using the: RJL BIA
- RJL systems is the true pioneer in the Bioelectrical Impendence Analysis(BIA) industry…with an accurate, quantitative, comprehensive body measurement approach that has been the choice of health professionals and researches since 1979
- Body Fat %
- Skeletal Muscle Mass
- Lean Soft Tissue
- Fat Mass Index
- Fat Free Mass Index
- BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the amount of energy expended at rest in a neutrally temperate environment.
- Intra Cellular Water
- Extra Cellular Water
- Circumference Measurements
- Blood Pressure
- Cardiovascular Endurance Test (3 minute YMCA Step Test)
- Muscular Strength
- Postural Screening
According to an article in the IDEA Fitness Journal (Jan 2010) only 5%- 10% of trainers are actually integrating this type of assessment/screening.
Positively Fit trainers have been doing an Assessment/Screening for 14+ years!